When to start looking around
for your pediatrician
Very often in Singapore, most parent-to-be choose a
pediatrician recommended by their gynecologist. Sometimes,
this can end up with a pediatrician whom they are not
comfortable with. The best advice I can give is to:
Start looking for a pediatrician early.
You can ask family members, friends and co-workers and
your own gynecologist for recommendations. Double check
to make sure you get the right advice.
For parents, especially first timers, who do not want
to take any chances, it is better to book your recommended
pediatrician before your delivery.
The following are some questions you might want to ask
the pediatrician before you continue to use him or her
for your baby.
What questions to ask
It is important to have a doctor whom you are comfortable
- What are his or her office hours?
- If you called for a routine visit right now, how
soon can you see the doctor?
- What happens if you have an emergency outside office
hours? Can the doctor be contacted immediately?
- Will my baby see the same doctor each time you
have an appointment, or will other doctors in the
practice see your baby?
- If your baby needs hospitalisation, which hospital
will he or she be admitted to?
- Did you find the staff friendly and helpful?
- Was the waiting room and office clean and child-friendly?
- How convenient is the doctor’s location?
Is parking or public transport available?
- How are the charges like? Compare notes with other
parents. Click here for possible clues: BayB
Questions on philosophy:
Ask the following questions to see whether the doctor’s
philosophy agrees with yours.
- What are your views on breastfeeding? I find that
a pro-breastfeeding doctor is very important in deciding
how long you will breastfeed your baby.See article
to know whether is your peadiatrician is pro-breastfeeding.
- When would you recommend the baby to start on solid
foods? (This actually a big topic on its own and
I will discuss this in a different article.)
- What are your views on Circumcision
- What are your views on the prescriptions of antibiotics?
Problem of Drug Resistance)
Where to get the pediatrician
Click here for the list of pediatricians
in Mt Elizabeth, Gleneagles, Eastshore, Kandang Kerbau
Hopsital and other pediatrician located in the neighborhood
See article on: How
to know whether is your pediatrician is pro-breastfeeding.
Contributed by Jenny Wee
Disclaimer: The information appearing on BayB Supplies.net
is presented for educational purposes only. While the
information published on this site is believed to be
accurate, it is not intended to substitute for professional
medical advice. If you have questions or concerns regarding
your physical or mental health or the health of your
child, please seek assistance from a qualified healthcare
provider. Please read here for Disclaimer