Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot Password?| Admin Options
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | BayB Supplies Home

Welcome to BayB Forum!
This is a forum board where everyone can discuss anything about Parenthood.
You'll need to REGISTER before you can post your messages.
Please feel free to contact out moderator at mail@baybsupplies.net if you need any assistance.

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Recommendations!
 Slow cooker
 New Topic  Reply to Topic 
 Printer Friendly 
Next Page
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page  of 2Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic 

stardust_sq

Singapore
3044 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  10:12:55 Show Profile Edit Topic Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Topic
I am thinking of buying a slow cooker to cook porridge or soup for baby

Any recommendation on brand, model or size, where to buy?

Is it really that user-friendly for someone me who does not know how to cook?

View Vincent's photos at http://www.baybsupplies.biz/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=8950

sherilynn06

Singapore
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  11:49:56 Show Profile Edit Reply Click to see sherilynn06's MSN Messenger address Send sherilynn06 a Yahoo! Message Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Hi stardust_sq,

I bought a Toyomi High Heat Slow cooker. The interior can be heated over the stove if u want to reheat fast. I bought a 1.2litre from OG & cost $46 originally. They have promotion of 10% so after deduction is $41.40.

Anglecow recommended me Lucky Brand so when I was scouting for it, I found this Toyomi 1 with the pot that can be reheated over the stove so in the end I bought this. Very convenient as I also dun know how to cook so just put everything into the pot.

I use it to cook 2 meal for my DS. Just put everything & switch to auto mode before I leave for work. When it's ready in the afternoon, FIL will feed DS.

6.31 KB

View Caleb's pics @ http://www.baybsupplies.biz/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=11968

Edited by - sherilynn06 on 08/13/2007 11:55:48
Go to Top of Page

vientan

Singapore
1334 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  13:22:08 Show Profile Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Yes mine is also Toyomi. Very convenient to use. You can find them at Courts, Best Denki etc.
Go to Top of Page

Acthia

Singapore
1189 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  13:34:34 Show Profile Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Yup. Me also using Toyomi for past 1-year. So far so good.

The size you want to get will depend on your household size as well as for the purpose you want it for. Cos I only have 3 adult (include maid) and 2 gals, and I mainly use it for cooking soups and stews, I bot the medium size one.

It's really user-friendly. Just chop all your ingredients, put into the pot, add water + stock and switch on. I like to "throw" everything in the morning and by lunch time can eat liaoz. I even use it to cook my herbal soups like ginseng chicken cos the longer the soup boils, the more flavourful it is.
Go to Top of Page

chin mama

846 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  14:43:35 Show Profile Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Mine is the Lucky Brand. Cannot heat on the stove. I bought it in OG around $40+. Very convenient. Like what other mummies do, I also put everything inside the pot & switch to HIGH mode. About 1.5hrs, porridge ready liao. I cook 2 meals together. DInner time I will add some hot water (coz the porridge will stick together) & heat it for about 1hr.

Suggest u buy the one can use on stove.

Go to Top of Page

absolutfaith

Singapore
2550 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  18:51:38 Show Profile Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
I suggest getting the Toyomi one cos it has auto (for all-day cooking) and high switch (for abt 2- or 3-hr cooking). It's also bigger than the Lucky one, more suitable for cooking soups with all the ingrdients thrown in. I used Lucky (the smallest size) when DD was younger and ate less, but I found the size and heating capability inadequate so switched to Toyomi. Quality of the pot also better.

Yes slow cookers are really v user friendly cos all u need to do is chop ingredients and throw them all in with hot water.

Go to Top of Page

Joyce Long

Singapore
1815 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  21:04:18 Show Profile Visit Joyce Long's Homepage Edit Reply Click to see Joyce Long's MSN Messenger address Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Highly recommended Toyomi High heat..same as Sherilynn and Absolutfaith. I used that to boil soup for family. For porridge, still using the Lucky Brand 0.7L Slow cooker(Miniature of Toyomi).Btw this Lucky Brand does not have any mode ie High Medium Low. Just no the switch and it will start cooking.

Welcome to our photo gallery @ http://www.baybsupplies.biz/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=11470

Edited by - Joyce Long on 08/13/2007 21:05:57
Go to Top of Page

Idy Tan

Singapore
2672 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  21:11:16 Show Profile Visit Idy Tan's Homepage Edit Reply Click to see Idy Tan's MSN Messenger address Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
I am also using Toyomi electric slow cooker. You see those soup recipes I posted on my blog each month? I use this slow cooker to boil all of them
Go to Top of Page

sandy_poh

226 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  17:56:51 Show Profile Edit Reply Click to see sandy_poh's MSN Messenger address Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Hi Stardust

I have 1 BN to let go but it is Aerogaz Brand. It works the same as a slow cooker. No idea whether it can be heat on the stove ornot.

If you are interested, pls sms me at 92974853 cos can't access to yahoo during office hours.

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

stardust_sq

Singapore
3044 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  12:57:59 Show Profile Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Thanks mommies for your replies

Shall buy a Toyomi one this weekend and try

How much time required to use slow cooker make porridge or soup? Vince usually eat lunch at 12pm and dinner at 5.30pm. But I usually bring him out in the morning before lunch so need to off the slow cooker when nobody at home?

Can the amount of water or stock to be used for porridge be the same amount using stove method which I always do by estimation?

If use slow cooker still need to make chicken/ pork stock beforehand?

View Vincent's photos at http://www.baybsupplies.biz/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=8950
Go to Top of Page

Idy Tan

Singapore
2672 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  14:08:48 Show Profile Visit Idy Tan's Homepage Edit Reply Click to see Idy Tan's MSN Messenger address Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
For porridge, I usually leave it to cook for about 2-3 hrs. For soup, I will set the timer to boil for about 4 hrs. No need to switch off the slow cooker. You can either switch to auto or just leave it on.

Chicken/pork stock and using of slow cooker are two different issues. If you want to use the chicken/pork stock to cook the porridge, you will need to make it first. Then, instead of adding water, you add the stock.

One thing to note. Pls rem to use boiling/hot water when you use slow cooker.
Go to Top of Page

sherilynn06

Singapore
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  14:22:56 Show Profile Edit Reply Click to see sherilynn06's MSN Messenger address Send sherilynn06 a Yahoo! Message Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Hi stardust_sq,

I usually cook 2hrs before Caleb's lunch @ 12pm using auto mode which means by 10am got to cook liao. When I'm @ home with Caleb, I'll cook once @ 10am & another time @ 4pm as the porridge will be 'freshly' cooked.

No need to off the slow cooker as the good thing is that u dun have to watch the fire if u cook using stove. I always cook the porridge using slow cooker then went gai gai so by the time we come back, the porridge is ready so won't have to worry abt Caleb's lunch or dinner.

I always cook 2 meals of porridge before I leave fome for work. I fill the rice cup till no. 6(enough for 2 meals)then fill the water (normal temp) till half of pot & switch on to auto mode. FIL will then feed Caleb for lunch then off the slow cooker till srd dinner time. Got to add a bit of water then on the switch again.

Hope u understand what I'm trying to say.

View Caleb's pics @ http://www.baybsupplies.biz/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=11968

Edited by - sherilynn06 on 08/15/2007 14:33:24
Go to Top of Page

Evonne

Singapore
458 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  15:55:10 Show Profile Edit Reply Send Evonne an ICQ Message Click to see Evonne's MSN Messenger address Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
stardust,
are you interested in getting a 2nd hand one? I've got a Cornell 1.5L one. Want to change to a bigger one cos if cooking stew for whole family, a bit small. PM me if you are keen. Condition is still very good.
Go to Top of Page

stardust_sq

Singapore
3044 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  14:06:06 Show Profile Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Hi mommies,

I bought the highly recommended Toyomi slow cooker yesterday after Taka baby fair

Previously I usually make the chicken or pork stock before I add the raw rice to cook using stove

For the slow cooker, is there any difference to taste or nutrients if I pre boil the stock or throw all ingredients in hot water?

Another question, I do not see "Low" setting? If I set Auto to cook from 8.30am I leave home, can it sustain under the same setting until 11.30am I reach home with Vince after playgroup or should I activate DH to switch to off around 10am? Will porridge overcook if left auto setting for long periods?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* Vincent was breastfed until 1 year & 8 months old. *~*~*~*~*~

Edited by - stardust_sq on 08/19/2007 23:01:28
Go to Top of Page

asflai

93 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  23:10:37 Show Profile Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
stardust,

The advantage of using slow cooker, as the name suggests, is that it cooks the food slowly. You can even leave the slow cooker on over night and your food will still be ok. I've cooked my baby's porridge for breakfast the night before and left the slow cooker on overnight from 9pm until 7am, and the porridge was ok though it was a bit dry but I'd add a little hot water, stir the porridge a bit and it's as good as freshly cooked.

One thing to caution is that never wash the slow cooker pot in tap water when it's still hot. I've made this mistake before and the pot cracked straight away! So, after cooking, you may want to remove the pot from the cooker, let it sit aside until it has cooled down, then soak or wash it.

I use the Lucky Brand smallest slow cooker 0.7L coz it's convenient for travel as well. It's big enough for 1 meal only for my 14 month old with some leftover which I would freeze and use later.

Having slow cooker is very convenient as you can cook a meal with all ingredients put in together with the fresh meat, rice, etc, and after a few hours, the meal is ready.
Go to Top of Page

babychief

11 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  00:11:42 Show Profile Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Hi, instead of a slow cooker, have you heard of "Thermos shuttle chef"? it's quite like a thermal flask, but it actually cooks the food like a slow cooker with no fire, no stove, no electricity for as long as 8 hours.

I bought a big one (6L), paid about $400 for this particular Thermos Shuttle Chef brand, but there are smaller ones around, and cheaper brands if you don't want to spend so much.

The good thing about it is, you could leave it over night just before you go to bed, and by morning when your baby's up and ready to eat, the porridge is completely soft and nicely warm, not too hot for the baby. Remember, the flask keeps the food simmering for a maximum of 8 hours so if you sleep longer than that, the food will not be HOT but just nicely warm and that's good for the morning...no need to wait for the food to cool down.

It works like this (i use beef for my girls' stew like porridge):
small beef chunks plus grated carrots plus uncooked rice and water put over the stove to boil, and when boiling, let it continue to boil for the next 5minutes then immediately put it into the thermal flask, it will continue to simmer for the next 8 hours. don't keep Opening to check, if possible, don't open at all. open only when you're ready to eat.

voila!
Go to Top of Page

babychief

11 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  00:13:14 Show Profile Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
oh and one more thing about the thermal flask...

whatever you have in the flask, it's not going to dry up cos there's no way evaporation is going to take place in there :D
Go to Top of Page

apples

Singapore
79 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  08:22:02 Show Profile Edit Reply Click to see apples's MSN Messenger address Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
stardust, how much u paid for the slow cooker?
Go to Top of Page

stardust_sq

Singapore
3044 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  09:30:28 Show Profile Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by apples
stardust, how much u paid for the slow cooker?

Hi apples,

I cannot remember the exact price as DH paid for it at the Taka cashier

There are 2 models for 1.2 litres Toyomi, the less expensive is about $41+ while the more expensive one st $47+ which I bought as it is high heat resistant can use on stove too

Vincent was breastfed until 1 year & 8 months old.

Edited by - stardust_sq on 08/22/2007 09:30:55
Go to Top of Page

mavwong

Singapore
1 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2007 :  15:22:34 Show Profile Edit Reply Send mavwong a Yahoo! Message Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
babychief, can you let us know where you get "Thermos shuttle chef"? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

eeyore

226 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  12:51:19 Show Profile Edit Reply Click to see eeyore's MSN Messenger address Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Yes babychief, I'm using something like that too. Mine is Sakura Brand. I love using it. It really save aloy of electricity bill and it's time-saving and very safe too.
Go to Top of Page
Page  of 2Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic 
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic 
 Printer Friendly 
Jump To: 
BayB Supplies Forum© 2004 BayB SuppliesGo To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.27 sec.Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03