Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot Password?| Admin Options
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | BayB Supplies Home

Welcome to BayB Forum!
This is a forum board where everyone can discuss anything about Parenthood.
You'll need to REGISTER before you can post your messages.
Please feel free to contact out moderator at mail@baybsupplies.net if you need any assistance.

All Forums
 Chat & Share
 Health For Kids
 What should be the food given daily
 New Topic  Reply to Topic 
 Printer Friendly 
Next Page
AuthorPrevious Topic Topic Next Topic
Page  of 2Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic 

Wongwk

Singapore
227 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  03:33:44 Show Profile Edit Topic Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Topic
HI all,

I am still finding a solution to treat my girl's cough. PD says her cough is caused by allergy. But when she cough, I can hear very thick phlegms inside. I suspect her daily intake does matter. Will fish, chicken or cakes worsen her condition? But if dun give her fish or chicken during meals, what should I give? Can share what do you give during the 3 meals daily.

magtcl

Singapore
2424 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  08:28:07 Show Profile Edit Reply Click to see magtcl's MSN Messenger address Send magtcl a Yahoo! Message Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
I only know that sour/citrus stuff ( grapes, oranges, green apple, ribena ) will cause more phlegm so avoid that. The older generation also say don't give chicken, dunno why though. I will let my kids eat anything that suits their appetite except the above and junk food of course.
Perhaps you can try clear soups with good quality fishballs ( fish is alright mah ) plus noodles/beehoon/kwayteow/meesua.
Go to Top of Page

wendy koh

Singapore
2004 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  08:56:41 Show Profile Visit wendy koh's Homepage Edit Reply Click to see wendy koh's MSN Messenger address Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
wongwk,

my dd recent completed her antibiotic and ventolin and now only on promethazine and i noticed her night cough reducing and phelgm getting lesser and almost clear. now i am giving her 1x promethazine at 7pm, by 8pm she will poo poo (out with phelgm), and then around 10+pm while sleeping will cough bit then no more throughout.

did ur gal given above med before? did she done any xray before?

i am going to KKH next tues, u wana me to check anything for u? actually i have drop down the detailed condition of my dd since the day she was on medication for allergy till now, hope the doc will listen and analyse with me what causes bronchitis and night cough (confirm allergy?)

u may wana boil pear+nan xing+bei xing for her. u can give vege, carrot, potatoe, sweet potato, tou fu, egg, meat, beef, green peas, so many varieties..

Go to Top of Page

Wongwk

Singapore
227 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  11:18:05 Show Profile Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Hi wendy

eggs should be avoided as two doctors advised to me. Actually the doctor advise me to give her nasal spray to improve her condition, but she always struggle when I do so every nite. actually fish is another thing to avoid, but too bad, is so difficult. they told me chicken is alright for allergy cough, I shall try next time and update you. Now I am giving her rhinatol prometazine, subtamaol and vasican. Still heard a bit of cough every day but I will continue with the nasal spray and c down the next 2 weeks. PD wants to go for inhaler she not going to get well next 2 weeks. very headache as many people told me that her allergy will last for a long term. I heard this also was caused because I did not take care of myself well during pregnancy. really regretted so much. Hope those new parents can take serious note on this and take care of their diet well when pregnant, to avoid especially cold beverage. Got to go now to fetch her again..... bye.
Go to Top of Page

wendy koh

Singapore
2004 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  12:26:38 Show Profile Visit wendy koh's Homepage Edit Reply Click to see wendy koh's MSN Messenger address Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
wongwk,

o...i still let my girl eat egg with oats...may have to stop now. but she is now on ketotifen and improve alot, or i should say hardly hear her cough while sleeping. and the best part is this med side effect is increase appetite, and now she eats alot which is good caused she lost weight since the whole Nov suffer from stomach flu to fever to bronchitis..

in fact, the pd oso ask me to give her nasal spray but same as your girl, mine struggle and cry so i skip this..

when i read from other mommies said fish will cause phelgm, i stop giving my 2 kids now. well..i dont see why is difficult, u should stop for the time being and let her eat others with equivalent nutrients.

lastly...i dont think allergy is mainly caused by this, if we the mommies/or family histories have allergy/sinuses/asthma, our kids may prompt to have and this is the reason why i insist on breastfeeding for long, trying to minimise the chance. but of cos is good to take good care of our diet when pregnant, this is a MUST to both.
Go to Top of Page

Wongwk

Singapore
227 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  00:31:49 Show Profile Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
my girl cant take chicken and egg so there is quite a limitation of food for her meals. So I actually give her fish more than other food. I think thread fin will not cause phlegm. Please note coconut need to be avoided too. I haven't try Ribena drink, can anyone advise? As she is going to childcare tomorrow, I really need to monitor very closely on her diet and feedback to the teacher at the childcare centre. My girl is still on nasal spray, although she will cry and struggle very much when giving her the dose, I still carry on because I was told by the doctor actually the spray is the most effective medicine out of all. One of the doctor even tell me she needs to go on with spray for 6 months if want to completely cure the sinus.

Wendy, Can you check with the doctor is egg and chicken really need to be taken out from their diet? thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

wendy koh

Singapore
2004 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  09:44:53 Show Profile Visit wendy koh's Homepage Edit Reply Click to see wendy koh's MSN Messenger address Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
wongwk...

my dad went to a GP for regular checkup and he asked the doc whether egg and fish can eat while coughing, he said no problem...aiya..i think is all up to individual caused different doc said different things..maybe all this not so true and not scientic proven lor...but i suggest u may let her eat more meat, vege, tofu, tao-kay, mushroom till she settle. By the way, steam mushroom very frangrant...hehe...

oso i oso inform the childcare milo is a NO to my gal...too heaty i just wana take prevention...too tired of them taking turn to fall sick..

one thing i learn is we really have to take the med timely for a start, for my ds he oso cough with phelgm, and he takes 1week to completely clear the phelgm, with med taken timely..heng....at least not allergy...i still cant really believe my girl is having allergy..strange really..but recent when she take ketotifen, she really eat and eat, now 13kg liao..haha.
Go to Top of Page

Wongwk

Singapore
227 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  14:09:56 Show Profile Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Well, I brought my dd to child care centre for the 1st day! And I brought her back 3 hours later! The diet over there is not suitable for her, they put peanut in food quite frequent. So I withdraw her from the centre and let a full time nanny to take care of her. My dh doesn't like the idea, but i convince her that his dd is not suitable for child care centre now. And also there are too many virus around with children coughing and sneezing. Hope she can get better soon. She start to cough now again... after taking some coconut yesterday. sigh...
Go to Top of Page

wendy koh

Singapore
2004 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  23:58:05 Show Profile Visit wendy koh's Homepage Edit Reply Click to see wendy koh's MSN Messenger address Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
aiyo...wongwk, u have to really be cautious in her diet, coconut...not so good when having cough. coconut juice is 'cool', coconut fresh is 'hot'..

i oso asked childcare centre not to give peanut to my gal cos i making wild guess this may cause be sensitive to her due to 2 previous incidents.

by the way, if u are using fan, dont blow towards your girl while sleeping.
Go to Top of Page

Wongwk

Singapore
227 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  09:58:23 Show Profile Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Hi wendy,

How's ur girl after KK's appointment. My girl starts to have side effects (mouth painful) after so many months medication. I am bringing her to KK tomorrow to see Dr Bala.
Go to Top of Page

wendy koh

Singapore
2004 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  14:01:35 Show Profile Visit wendy koh's Homepage Edit Reply Click to see wendy koh's MSN Messenger address Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
my girl should have 'recovered' at the moment caused no further coughing liao...touchwood..i will continue the med till Jan appointment then c how..maybe when u c Dr Bala, just check withh him the use of Ketotifen..i find this pretty helpful, in terms of curing and appetite. She has increased back to 13kg..hoping to gain bit more cos now she already 97cm...
Go to Top of Page

Wongwk

Singapore
227 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  16:34:42 Show Profile Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Hi wendy,

Congrats! Glad to hear your girl's recovery. My girl starts to have side effects (mouth painful) from her pro-long medication (3 months). Hope KKH's PD can really help me. Every nite she oso cant sleep well due to her sinus, and my dh is so disappointed that she can't go to childcare centre to learn more independant. How I hope I can take over her sufferings. Hope the coming new year will be a good one for us. anyways, thanks for all the informations given and will share with you my girl's progress next time.
Go to Top of Page

wendy koh

Singapore
2004 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  16:49:47 Show Profile Visit wendy koh's Homepage Edit Reply Click to see wendy koh's MSN Messenger address Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
wongwk,

tell your dh dont disappointed as learning to be more independent is lesser important, and in fact dont need to learn...sooner our kids will "kick us aside" and fly liao...haha..my gf's dd now turning 5 years old used to co-sleep with the parents but she has "successfully kick away" their parents and sleep in her own room as per she requested..her mum feels so 'upset'..

anyway, hope your dd can recover fast after going to KKH. :)
Go to Top of Page

Veronica Ng

Singapore
568 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  14:11:07 Show Profile Edit Reply Click to see Veronica Ng's MSN Messenger address Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
For allergy cough, i think we had to cut down dairy products like cheese, milk.

At 1st i also dun believe what my chinese sinseh told me that cheese and milk will make the cough worse. See this website http://www.sinus-pro.com/PostNasalDrip.asp

I started to watch my son's diet. Whenever he had cheese for a few days, soon his body becomes very heaty and fall sick again. All started with his PND then turns into cough.

I still give him fish, dun think is a problems cos their portion very small. I usually make "Qi Xin Cha" for them twice a week.

I din know cannot eat eggs, my son love eggs! He must eat it everyday, sometime 2 eggs a day.

Btw, jarrell also taken more than 3 months of similar to Ketotifen (suddenly cant remember the name). Also useless. Think his problems started with his nose. So I must treat his nose 1st!

Cindy, My ds problems aggrevate after he went to CC begining this year. You better strengthen her body before more problems.

Go to Top of Page

Wongwk

Singapore
227 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  09:56:26 Show Profile Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Hi,

My daughter's cough turn very bad two days ago when she played with some sofa cushion full of sand and dust in my in-law house (only noticed after my dh saw all the sand on the floor). That night was a terrible night, she can't breathe properly and did not sleep well since mignight to the next morning. Brought her to the pd at night, and was given inhaler, singulair, zyrtec and nasal spray. She needs to go on these for the next 2 weeks with other cough and running nose medicine. I have cancel the apptmt at Raffles Hospital since she is trying on the inhaler. Hope she will gets better the next 2 - 3 weeks. Please try to avoid peanuts, eggs, seafood & birdnest for allergy (told by my pd).

Go to Top of Page

jwlim

Singapore
616 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  10:43:27 Show Profile Edit Reply Click to see jwlim's MSN Messenger address Send jwlim a Yahoo! Message Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Hi Wongwk, looks like your little girl's condition is similar to my girl's
Doctor have advised her not to play with stuff toys, and to use steam vaccum to clean carpet and her mattress, pillows and bolster, so as to kill any becteria or dustmites that might be present.
She is also on Zaiditen to help reduce the allergy, although this also helps to strengthen certain organs

Go to Top of Page

Wongwk

Singapore
227 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  13:03:25 Show Profile Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Hi jwlim

I have threw away all the carpet and fabric chair at home and kept all soft toys in the storeroom. What I concern is that she is on medication for such a long time, will it be a problem to her health sooner or later. Now she is on 7 kind of medicines for another 3 days, poor girl. I do not know whether did her allergy trigger off when I brought her to the zoo first time sometime in June, that's when her allergy started too. Maybe we shouldn't bring too young children to such places where air is totally not good with so many kind of animals.
Go to Top of Page

meelo

2 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  17:25:42 Show Profile Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
glad to know my ds is not the only one.

for months since he was like 15 mths been coughing. at first diagnosed at bronchitis. cleared up for a while after antibiotics but started again after a cold. now on dhatifen. seems less coughing.
also i took him off pediasure ( which i introduced with the hope that he will put on weight) and put him on goats milk. this seems to have helped too. no biscuits, no dairy. sigh.
its painful to hear him cough
Go to Top of Page

shalomyen

10 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  14:39:57 Show Profile Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
hi wongwk,

i experienced the same prob wif my daughter when she was 5mths old. she started hving high fever n phelgmy cough & runny nose. it went on every month until 17mths. she was like a medicine tank...antibiotics,nose n cough syrups were given every mth. the whole vicious cycle ended after i read a book on nutritional immunology. i did a fair bit of research on the web to confirm what the book established.

during my research, i realised many common infections of the nose (e.g.cold), throat and chest (e.g. cough) are caused by viruses which means antibiotic is not needed becos antibiotics only kill bacteria not viruses. most mediation n antibiotics are only for the relief of symtoms and offer no true benefit n all drugs hv side effects. again, thru'research i realised the side effect of cough & runny nose syrups :- slow down the development of brain cells in a child. to get out of the vicious sick cycle, u need to boost ur own immune system thru'wholesome nourishement/diet to clear the infections, which i did.

Veron, u r rite. diary prodts shld be avoided, take it as a leisure diet. in fact, even our health promotion board do not recommend drinking milk becos diet rich in animal protein has the effect of leaching calcium (contrary to wat we believe tat it gives us calcium). tat's the reason y i do not give cow's milk to both my kids.

we hv nvr been able to enjoy family outing as much as we did now. she is very healthy n we do not need to avoid crowded areas like we did b4. we hv a quality lifestyle which we nvr had b4 when my daughter was sickly.

no longer do i rely on advertisement claims, i do my research in reputable websites to get reliable information. the power of knowledge gives u wisdom to make the rite decisions. health is definitely worth investing time in.

Go to Top of Page

absolutfaith

Singapore
2550 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  01:33:24 Show Profile Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Hi Wongwk, your girl's symptoms sound like asthma - only that docs will not put this label on them as they may (hopefully) outgrow it. You may want to read up more on the common triggers of asthma / allergies and hence avoiding them, such as dust (as you rightly did, keeping all the stuff toys and clearing carpets), animal dander / fur (eg. going to someone's house with pet dog or cat), extreme temp changes (such as sleeping in a very cold room). The only thing you may have no control over is viral / bacterial infections affecting the respiratory tract lor.

As for food, there seems to be a list of foods to avoid for cough / phlegm. I can't really remember the whole list but one of the mummies here shared that threadfin causes phlegm. Also, why would you let your child have coconut when you yourself said to avoid coconut? Aiyo, be more cautious lor. Personally the only I try to refrain from feeding my girl is cold drinks. She was very healthy till I introduced cold fresh milk to her. So now I will warm it before giving it to her.

Given the long list above, things you may want to try pork instead of chicken, other types of fish, beef (like spaghetti bolognaise), tofu, more veggies, non-citrus fruits eg apple, pear, banana, diff types of carbohydrates besides rice, such as mee suah, pasta, potato, kuey teow, bee tai mak, chee cheong fun, bao, oats.

Go to Top of Page

Veronica Ng

Singapore
568 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  11:06:46 Show Profile Edit Reply Click to see Veronica Ng's MSN Messenger address Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Hi Shalomyen,

Can u share ur experience on how to boost their immune system?

I have been doing trial and error, but dun seems too work... They still need to rely on anti-biotic every mths to treat their nose problems.

I also cut down shopping indoor every weekend, try to bring them for outdoor activities.

Go to Top of Page
Page  of 2Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic 
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic 
 Printer Friendly 
Jump To: 
BayB Supplies Forum© 2004 BayB SuppliesGo To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.33 sec.Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03